Using Patterning to control softsynths via Inter-Device Audio MIDI (IDAM) on MacOS

Someone just asked for how to do this, so I thought I’d share.

• Connect your iPad to your Mac.

• Open the “Audio MIDI Setup” application on your Mac.

• In the “Audio Devices” window, find your iPad and click “Enable.” If the window doesn’t appear, you can find it in the “Window” menu.

• Now, open the “MIDI Studio” window. Your iPad should appear in the window as a device.

• In Patterning 2, select the track/instrument you want to send MIDI with. Select the MIDI tab on the right and choose either “BOTH” or “MIDI” for the track output. Then tap on the MIDI port and select “IDAM MIDI Host.”

• Open up your DAW of choice and create a MIDI track. Set the MIDI track’s input to be “iPad”

• From there, configure as needed to match your specific desire.

1 Like

is there a way to use this function while using Ableton Link?
It seem that when I activate my Iphone in the Audio-Midi config it imediatly disable Ableton the Link Connection.
Please let me know! :heart:
all the best!

That’s strange! Does it let you re-enable it after you’ve plugged in?

Interestingly, the Ableton Link code doesn’t actually let me turn it off and on, it can only be turned off with that switch… so it makes me think there could be an issue with Link and that it automatically turns off when the audio driver changes… which happens when you plug it in… So see if you can enable after connecting to IDAM.

Thank you for your answer.
you’re right it works in this way (when re-activating Iphone after connecting LINK).

Thank you! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: