Patterning for iphone;

Hi developer(s) of Patterning for iphone,

What a disappointment; Patterning for iphone, after having used the excellent Patterning 2 for ipad. P seems to be a limited version of P2… for a lower price but so what??
A waste of money, really.
I’ll continue to use P2, the iphone version is too frustrating, too limited.

Kind regards,
Phoenix

Help me understand how your post is useful, productive or meaningful?
And topping it of with “kind regards” :man_shrugging:t4:

It’s all good! I’ve already responded to Phoenix via email.

The idea of Patterning for iPhone was to make a version that worked on the phone. I knew it would be limited in scope so that it would be able fit on the smaller screen. I wanted to make a version that had the most popular and useful features rather than force it to fit everything in. Unfortunately there wasn’t a way to make it free for P2 users - unless I wanted to make it one universal app — but then I’d have charge the same amount for people using the limited phone version also. Which didn’t make sense to me. So I made it free to try, so people could decide if they wanted to pay for the limited version. I know this has cause a lot of grief with some users, but most people understand, and many people who only have phones are quite happy with it!

1 Like

Hi, I thought I’d ask this here (as it’s kind of related) rather than start a new topic. Do the limits for iPhone include no swing, or am I just being dumb by not being able to find it? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, sorry there is not swing shown in the loop editor. It might be something easy to add… it was more of a screen real estate decision than anything else.

Hey @benkamen ! Thanks for sharing this info.
Can you please help me on this iPhone version on iPad usage? I keep getting a truncated interface which makes the app impossible to use as windows are not possible to close and other things clog the view.
It seems to be saying “ah ah ah! You need the iPad version to do this!” But I want to experiment with the cheaper app on iPhone and iPad because iPad is my midi device with many more apps in music. But I also bought it first before realizing there was a difference between iPad and even the macOS versions.

Thanks so much for help in this matter as I would love to write a review about what I love.

Also a comparison chart of differences between the two? Would help me and other users and potential buyers understand quickly the benefits.

I look forward to hearing from you!

See? It’s broken!

Hey @djcarpediem – thanks for posting. I had also responded to your previous email from Feb 10th, but it seems like it may not have gone through.

This is a bug with displaying the iPhone version on the iPad. Since the iPhone version isn’t really meant to be used on an iPad, I haven’t gotten around to fixing it — I know it worked on initial release but something must’ve gotten messed up in one of the updates. I do have it on my to-do list and hopefully it’s a quick fix when I get to it!

1 Like

@benkamen Thank you Sir!

I am grateful for your quick reply.

Yes and it appears to be the Achilles Heel and the bane of music app devs and users alike!
For i have bought many apps that were much more expensive in the past for professional purposes but was flummoxed when these apps just disappear from the App Store. It’s atrocious because the iOS upgrade is always been a “Must do for your own Security “ type event or warning…

But when I react to the devs they generally give me no response or say they are phasing out of that product, which in software is the reality vs hardware music instruments.

It seems old closed system hardware lasts longer than modern software that has an imaginary shelf life without a date. That’s the part I think Apple should have more grace upon devs and app buyers of professional apps. Or priced in the professional level versus cheaper apps. What is the price point that divides this ? Unknown!
Ha ha! So like the old black and white bomb or sick Mac icon we got in OS9 Macs and below, the new version of this haunt is the “Cannot connect to App Store” window.

So I say all this just to end with it would be great for Apple to give users the opportunity to revert back to an iOS instance if we decide we must have access to the app in question versus update to the modern widget system Apple creates just because it thinks we need to be alerted of every single event across the internet training us to be distracted and addicted to our scrolling rather than our creative endeavors.

I am grateful you responded and I will be honored when the bug is fixed. But also I will admit the price point for the iPad version is not that big a deal, compared to past options I had with MOOG,INC. with their own apps.

Cheers

@djcarpediem Can you tell me which iPad & iOS version you are using? Finally testing this and the iPhone layout is correct on my iPad Pro, iOS 14.

It could very well be an iOS 15 issue, so I am updating my device now.

Just wanted to pitch in here and say I’d really like swing available on iPhone as well! It’s crucial to most rhythms I make. Love your app in general by the way!