Patterning 2’s future

Can I just start by saying amazing work, this is a beautiful app taken to the next level. I feel like now is the best time to commend the new featured and suggest items for future updates.

Highlights and comments on next step development :

Slew tempo, however I dont understand the song option over the pattern one, but Ill get back to that…

The random stuff

The coarse tune quantizer is genius, really opens up Patterning to being a melodic jammer and with the random stuff a melody generator. However, how did it work out its route note or what note the original sample is? Is this something that can be set by the user or an under the hood potion?

The control over the pattern launch quantisation is very much welcome.

The fact you can control velocity on the record page is a wonderful surprise!

Drum kit swapping, oh yes!

Ratcheting is nice, but pehaps allow Ratchet Attack as well as Decay?

My big gripe that I know someone else has illustrated is the Song page, I simply never used the timeline but dont take any issue with it if others like it, my problem is with editing the patterns. I’d want to be able to move them around and rename each pattern as the way I use patterning is a live instrument. If something is created via brainstorming and I want to rearrange the order, its a major hassle.

Also state saving, which I haven’t tested but Ive seen dismay from other comments around, I have no desire to see Patterning 2 go AUv3 etc but more intergration into the save states of AUM, AB3 and apeMatrix would make this my main app for live performances. Seriously its so good but those niggles really make it hard to rely on it and thus, Patterning 1 has been out if favour from my live rig this year.

(This post was originally posted on Audiobus forum)

Thanks!!

Re tempos : I refer you to the user manual :

A pattern can have one of three tempo change modes : None, Song, or Pattern.

In Pattern mode, the pattern will override the current tempo and change to the pattern’s tempo.

In Song mode, the pattern will trigger a tempo change back to the song’s original tempo, if required.

In None mode, the pattern will do nothing to the tempo on launch, staying at the current tempo. None is the default mode.

What do you mean by ratchet attack? With decay levels of > 100% the racthets will get louder, is that what you are looking for?

Thanks for those suggestions! I have both of those feature requests (#78 and #48) already on the feature request list https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues

I absolutely agree reordering/renaming sequences would be a great addition for live performance, and I’d like to prioritize it.

AB State Saving was previously not possible because Patterning 1 took too long to make the files, however, Patterning 2 is much faster at saving files so this might be more feasible now!

1 Like

+1 for state saving!

+1 for state saving too!

Will it possible to see :

• midi cc definition ( possibility to rename the cc )
  • layers mute
  • mute states saving

?

Thank you !

Mutes are saved with the drum kit and/or song… something else you are looking for?

Thanks for the other suggestions!

maybe i can suggest you something else :

put a little star ( like * ) juste close to the name of the parameter which contains at least one automation .this way we can instantly see where we have settings applied on the track , very useful when you start to automate à lot !

Hi,

I am trying to use patterning 2 as a midi sequencer .
I have suceed while using Audiobus and a midi tool called mf adapter .
Nice .
But now I want to live record some midi notes inside patterning sequencer with a midi keyboard . Can we do that or is it only one note available for this type of recording ?

I think you are asking about controlling/recording into Patterning 2 with a MIDI controller? Yes, you can do that. On the “RECORD” page, tap MIDI LEARN. Select the pad you want to map to a MIDI note, and play the note on the controller. Repeat for each of the pads. Is that what you are trying to do?

Not exactly .
I want to play the Animoog app with patterning because the sequencer of patterning let me explore news territories , but as I understand , in order to enter a sequence of different notes I am obliged to touch the patterning app which I want to avoid . The best for ‘e Would be to enter my melodies with an external hardware midi controller but seeing the midi learn is affected to only one note I am afraid I can not do that .

Ah I see… yeah, currently Patterning doesn’t allow you to do that.

An interesting workaround would be to use a note to tap in a rhythm, and then map a knob (MIDI CC) to control/record the MIDI note transpose parameter. Combined with the pitch quantize function, the knob could act as a way to play through melodies. Could be kinda cool, though probably not what you were imagining.

You,say “ currently “ so does it means that patterning 2 will have an update ?

It is sad because , patterning could have been in top 3 in the world of iOS midi sequencers , because the sequencing is pretty advanced .

But I will try your trick with the cc message , thank you for the idea

I’m updating Patterning all the time. This particular request is on the feature request list already. https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues/33

It’s on my radar and at some point I’d like to make it happen. Will it happen soon? I have no idea. I have a million feature requests and I need to order them in a way that makes sense. Something like this strikes me as difficult to implement UX-wise because it requires a separate record function that acts differently than the existing one. Also, if you are able to input MIDI notes in this way, what happens with polyphonic input? Is it discarded? Or do we need a new type of track for this, one that is capable of polyphony? These are big, non-trivial, questions, and I’m not going to approach them without a clear intent for how it affects the rest of the app. Because it’s such a large question that affects existing functionality, it’s something that likely goes in the bucket of “version 3” or later.

being new to the ecosystem, what is the impact on the IAA/Audiobus SDKs being deprecated in favor of AUv3? How does this or would this effect Patterning 2’s future?

Deprecated, as you may know, means that it won’t be developed into the future, but it will likely still work for some time.

At some point, Patterning will become either an AUv3 host or an AUv3 plugin. I’m leaning towards host, because it’s a sequencer and I’m not convinced that sequencers work well (in the UX sense) as plugins.

Patterning started as an IAA app in a time before AUv3, so the architecture is not currently designed around AUv3. What that means is that the transition to AUv3 is a breaking one and will probably need happen with a new release (e.g. version 3, or in a standalone AU version).

As I work on updating and maintaining Patterning 2, I certainly have this in mind and am working to add features and do behind the scenes work that is preparing the app for that future.

1 Like