New Audio Export Options in Patterning 2

Patterning 2 has been updated to include new audio export options! Choose AIFF or WAV file format, 16, 24, or 32 bit depth, and sample rates of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz.

new_file_formats

These options are available when exporting from Patterning to an audio file or Ableton Live Set.

To Access. choose EXPORT… from the FILE screen. Then tap on the file format in the EXPORT OPTIONS section to configure your preferred file type.

Enjoy!

This is great! thank you,

Is there any documentation about the mysterious (for me at least) Render Length settings (Measure, Quarter Notes, Sixteenth Notes, Ticks-96 PPQ)?

Any bounce that involves more than one loop mixed together (e.g. master output) needs to have an explicit length. This is because loops can have different lengths.

The control allows you to set the length of the bounced file.

That makes sense and it is in your documentation. “Measures” I understand. But what do the “Quarter Notes”, “Sixteenth Notes”, and “Ticks-96 PPQ” settings mean?

Quarter note, 16th note are musical durations. In 4/4 time, a measure is 4 quarter note long. A quarter note is also known as a crotchet.

Ticks are more of a MIDI term, it’s the smallest increment of time in the audio engine for patterning. A quarter note is 96 ticks (PPQ = parts per quarter) long.

Thanks, Ben. Note durations I understand, but I didn’t know about the MIDI ticks spec. What I am puzzled by is what those Render Length settings are telling the application. For example, my song was set at 4/4 time, and I used 32 steps with a step duration of a sixteenth note. So, in Render Length settings I set Measures = 2, and left the other three settings at their default of “0”. Should I have put a number in the Quarter Notes, Sixteenth Notes settings? What would I put? The number of quarter and sixteenth notes per measure (four and sixteen respectively in my example)? I didn’t use MIDI in this song.

If you want the bounce to be 2 measures long, yes 2:0:0:0 is the correct length.

If you wanted it to be 2 and a half measures of 4/4 time it’d be 2:2:0:0

If you wanted the bounce to be 2 quarter notes plus a dotted 16th note, you’d do 0:2:1:12

Since a 16th note is (96 / 4) = 24 ticks, a dotted sixteenth note is one 16th note plus 12 ticks.

Alternately you could do the last one as 0:2:0:36

Well, now that you explain it, it seems obvious. Thank you for walking me through this. It was the fractions of a measure I wasn’t getting, because my song didn’t go that way.